Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I love my pops!

My dad decided last minute to come visit us for the weekend (since I was going to be starting my new job this past Tuesday), so we picked him up Friday night at 10:30pm.  We had already made plans to go kayaking with our friend Cliff, and luckily, he had room for one more, so we brought my dad along!

 

It was the daddios' first time ever kayaking, and my first time kayaking in the ocean!  My dad and I took one kayak and then Kai paddled a single.  Anyways, it was pretty amazing.  We headed out from this beach called Rock Quarries and paddled about a mile around this point to a secluded beach.  You can only get there by boat or kayak, so we had the whole place to ourselves. 


Thankfully it was a beautiful day, but its crazy to be in the swells.  In the pic on the right, you can barely see the tops of our heads. 

 
When we got to the beach, it was surreal!  There was a seal just resting on the beach!  And the views were beautiful from every angle!

We basically, just hung out on the beach, and then there was a small tunnel/cave thing there the ocean water goes through.  The boys said they were going to swim through, but the water looked a little crazy for me, so I had decided I wasn't going to do it.  Luckily, after the guys all went through, they reassured me I would be fine, so I did it, and I'm sooo glad I did! 


Anyways, after that, we had lunch, talked, and my dad went and got a bunch of opihi.  He ate some and said it was good, but when Kai tried it, he wasn't a fan.  I think Kai was probably right, it didn't look appetizing at all!  After a long day of relaxing, we all headed back in to paddle back.  There was a pretty crazy shore break where we were launching out on so we had to swim out and then climb onto our kayak after we passed the breaks.  BUT, me and dad did good.  We almost made it all the way back without tipping (we tipped when we were about waist deep and pretty much back).  In our defense, pretty much everyone else did too. 

That night, my pops bought stuff for dinner and then we came home, ate dinner, and watched the BYU v Utah game.  I was so tired, I fell asleep through half of the game and woke up just in time to see BYU miss a field goal (which would've tied the game).  Anyhow, we'll get them next year! 

Monday was my last day of freedom before becoming a contributing member of society again, so we were planning on doing some sightseeing in the afternoon.  We dropped Kai off in the morning and went to WalMart to get RainX wipes for my windshield and we got a flat tire!  I was so glad my dad was with me because I heard a weird sound, but had no idea what it was.  Thankfully, my dad knew so he told me to pull back into the parking spot.  He got everything out and was starting to change the flat, and then as he was taking off the lug nuts, he realized there was one with a key lock (aka, a stupid thing that is supposed to prevent people from stealing your hubcaps/tires).   Of course, with our luck, we didn't have the key, and there is no VW dealer on the island.  I called around to a few auto shops, tire shops, and auto parts stores to see if they could help, but everyone said the same thing...they didn't have the part!  After trying to figure out what we were going to do, I remembered that our neighbor has the exact same car as us, so we called and she was on her way into town, so she brought us her key.  Problem solved, right?!  Nope!  It had 13 spoke things and ours had 17!  So, I called the dealer and found out that the keys vary by vehicle.  AND even if I told them how many spoke things I had, they couldn't guarantee that it would be the right part.  Not to mention, it costs $40!  It was a nightmare!  After about 5 hours of trying to figure out how to get it off, a guy at Napa overheard me and said he would come help.  He had a bunch of tools and he finally smashed a thing over the lug nut and even though he stripped part of it, he got it out! 

Anyways, there was a bunch of other crazy stuff that happened (I got kicked off a bus after I was stranded in another city, my phone died, etc.), and I was soooo mentally drained!  Luckily, my dad was there to help me with everything!  After he got my tire fixed, he took me grocery and household goods shopping, gassed up my car, and then took us to dinner before we had to take him back to the airport to catch his flight.  Then, he took the part with him and went to a few dealerships to find the right part so he could send it to us!  Now we will be able to change our tires out and hopefully not deal with this again!  Basically, my daddio is the best!  He is cray cray sometimes, but at the end of the day, he is always there for me and is always doing whatever he can to take care of me and make my life easier!  I love him lots and am glad he got to come visit!  Can't wait to have them come again in December!

3 comments:

  1. I love your pictures! How fun for your dad to come spend time with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Thanks Dave! you really saved the day and it was tons of fun to have you with us! See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dads are the best. uncle dave, you the bomb.com.

    ReplyDelete