Sunday, June 3, 2012

Memorial Day Memories


A little while back, Kai and I had tried to get on a catamaran trip (a friend works for a catamaran cruise company), but our plans were foiled when there weren't enough people to take the boat out.  Well, our luck changed on Memorial Day!  I figured it would probably be packed since it was a holiday, but when we texted our friend in the morning, he said he could get us spots on the afternoon Na Pali catamaran cruise! 


So, we took our dramamine, and headed to Port Allen!  We had thought it was a snorkeling cruise, so we brought our snorkel gear, towels, and wore our bathing suits.  We met up with Kylie (our friend's wife), and their friends who were visiting.  I think we were the only ones wearing swimsuits out of everyone on the boat. 

Anyways, we boarded and then the captain did his welcome speech where he said, "If you feel sick, do NOT go into the bathrooms as they are the WORST place you can be."  Instead he said, if you do feel sick, head to the back of the boat since that is the more stable. 

The catamaran had two trampoline areas on the front where Kylie said it is fun to sit on.  We got our drinks and headed out to the tramps.  There was only 1 other couple who sat in the front and they both were wearing jeans, so once the waves started splashing up, they were gone :)

Our group at the front of the catamaran
The weather was perfect, and once we turned the point to see the Na Pali coast, it was seriously amazing!  It was pretty awesome to see all the peaks (we saw the point where we camped at a while back).  Plus, there was a wild fire, so there were helicopters going back and forth getting water from the ocean. 



Typically what happens is you motor to the far end of the coast and then they put up the sail and sail back while you have dinner.  Unfortunately for us, there was a lady who couldn't handle the boat rocking and so she started having panic attacks and was saying she might have a heart attack if we stopped the boat, so in the interest of her health, we had to motor back.  I did feel bad for her, but lets be honest, I was also a little irritated because they tell you before you book that there is a potential for considerable amount of waves (you are on a catamaran in the ocean after all), so if you aren't comfortable with that, why would you go on the trip?!  Sooo, we had a motor the ENTIRE trip...I'm definitely looking forward to sailing a bit next time ;)

Check out that view!!!

Kai got really sleepy on the way back, so he knocked out on the tramp.  Once they announced that dinner was ready, he was up and ready to go!  Surprisingly, the food was actually really good (although, it could also have been that we were just really hungry :)  They had tri-tip with sauteed mushrooms, teri chicken, rice, salad, corn, and rolls.  Then for dessert, they had these pineapple bars that were pretty tastey!

 By the time we finished dinner, the sun was starting to set, so it started getting cooler.  Kai and I were done with getting wet, so I sat in the front middle area where you should be able to stay relatively dry.  Kylie had talked about how it is awesome to lay on your stomach on the trampoline so when you hit waves, you can go flying up in the air.  It sounded so fun, but being wet with the wind AND the sun going down, I figured it would be best to stay dry.  Anyhow, as we were enjoying our ride back, a HUGE wave hit us and completely drenched us AND our towels.  At that point, I figured, what the heck, I guess I might as well try out Kylie's recommendation.  

I had a couple of people join me on the tramp...they were cray cray in their jeans and tshirts...I was in my swimsuit and I was freeeeeeezing!  It was to the point where I was just wishing the water would splash up on me since it was warmer than the air.  BUT, it was seriously soooo fun!  Check out my Medusa hair :)

According to the people watching from behind the cabin windows, I got some pretty good air :)


And to end the day, we had a beautiful sunset.  I tried (again) to see the green flash, but I guess i'll just have to keep trying...I saw nothing!

Happy Memorial Day! 

1 comment:

  1. that trampoline thing looks awwwwwwwesome and is a genius idea. man, i would give anything to be on my stomach these days!

    ReplyDelete